MESSAGE FROM EDITOR

MALAYSIAN JOURNAL OF MICROBIOLOGY

Message from Editor-Volume 17 (2021)

Download File

Dear Readers,

Happy New Year!

In 2020, MJM has published a total of 6 issues (Feb, April, June, Aug, Oct, Dec). Each of the issues comprised 10 articles contributed by both local and international authors. Based on a total of 60 articles published this year, we have achieved a good balance and diversity of contributions between local (48%) and international authors (52%).

Over the years, the number of submissions to MJM has seen a marked increase. The total number of submissions in 2020 stood at 323, which exceeded the number of submissions in 2019 (282). Although there is an increase in the submission volume, MJM still maintains its rigorous peer reviewing standards to ensure high quality scientific contents are consistently delivered to our readers worldwide. This is demonstrated by the high rejection rate this year (83%). Among the reasons for rejection were the research topics are not within the aims and scope of MJM, lack of satisfactory use of English language, unacceptable similarity index (>20%) and by recommendation of reviewers due to poor scientific content. 
 
Out of 323 manuscripts submitted to MJM, 30 (9%) were accepted for publication and 269 (83%) were rejected. The remaining 24 (8%) are still in peer review process. In terms of author distribution, 69 manuscripts (21%) were submitted by local authors while the remaining 254 (79%) were submitted by authors from other countries as shown in the table.

In our continuous efforts to reach out more readers worldwide, MJM has created a Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/malaysianjournalofmicrobiology) in June 2020. Besides, a sharing feature via WhatsApp and Facebook have been adopted in the publication notification email to all authors, reviewers and MSM members beginning August 2020. With the help of these features, we hope that MJM will be much easily accessible by scientific communities worldwide to disseminate latest findings in Microbiology. 

2020 was indeed a rough sailing year filled with many challenges for most of us due to the COVID-19 pandemic. On behalf of the Editorial Board, I would like to thank all the authors and reviewers for your continuous support for MJM and being with us throughout the year. Last but not least, I wish you all have a safe and healthy New Year 2021.


 
Prof. Dr. K. Sudesh Kumar FASc
Chief Editor of MJM